It’s a Monday morning in early August, what does today look like in the life of our climbing arborist?

This particular Monday morning started before the alarm, in the traditional sense, went off because the alarm of Aaron’s 10 week old waking up in his cradle went off first. He graciously gets up and changes the baby’s diaper before bringing him to his wife and then retreats to make coffee. It is 5am, both he and his wife are hoping the toddlers decide to sleep until after 6am, so they can have a few minutes of quiet before the day starts. Bible devotions are done together while the baby is burped and hopefully resettled to sleep a little longer. The logistics of the day are quietly discussed over coffee in bed, what paperwork needs completed, what jobs are being done today, any needed chores around the house, and plans for preschool for the boys. Around 6 the toddlers are heard stirring in their room and shortly thereafter appear at the foot of the master bed with blankets and books in hand. They want daddy to read them a book before he goes to work. Aaron settles in with the boys to read Curious George before getting the 2yr old changed and dressed and sending the 3yr old off to the bathroom. The baby has woken up again by this time, so while his wife tends to the baby Aaron gets breakfast ready for the crew. There is an egg casserole prepped in the fridge, so servings are heated, toast and fruit is prepped, and milk and refills of coffee are poured. Breakfast is eaten quickly to allow time to get ready for the day, it is going to be hot, so water and Gatorade is filled and lunch packed. Onto checking equipment and getting the chipper hooked up behind the dump truck. As soon as the backup sound triggers on the dumptruck the toddlers appear on the front porch to watch. Before leaving for the day there are kisses all around for the boys and his wife, and a parting “be safe” from Katie. The toddlers stand at the railing and wave yelling “bye!” as he leaves.

Music on and windows down as he drives to today’s job, the logistics needed running through his mind. Arriving at the jobsite he talks with the homeowner to review the plan for the day and gets to work setting equipment. Once he is ready to head up into the tree he sends Katie a quick “heading up” text. The day passes in the heat, physically exhausting but thoroughly fulfilling work. Today’s job is a removal in a relatively tight space, so things have to be taken in smallish sections. It will take some time to do it right. Once grounded again he lets Katie know he is down and gets any needed updates from home. Today the toddlers have been particularly grievous at times, but overall it hasn’t been a bad day and she needs him to review some marketing materials before they are sent to print. Today he is hoping to be home for dinner on time, but is just starting cleanup, so time will tell. Aaron does his best to clean as thoroughly and efficiently as possible, he likes to leave the jobsite with no evidence of his presence. Getting all the equipment loaded and heading out he updates Katie that he needs to stop for fuel and will have to go to the dump in the morning. If traffic isn’t bad he may be a little late for dinner, but not too terrible. Making it home around quarter to six he finds his family at the dinner table already, as one does not delay dinner for two hangry toddlers! Quickly shedding his boots and wood chip covered work clothes he joins his family for dinner. There are chains to be sharpened and some saw tuning needed before tomorrow, but that will wait. How the day went is discussed over dinner, with many stories (both real and imagined) told by the 3yr old.

After dinner it is a team effort to get all the boys ready for bed before bedtime stories are selected and read. Amongst the organized chaos of the evening routine there is tickling and toddlers “flying” and climbing on him. The 2yr old stands before him and asks “up please” and points at the ceiling. So despite being hot and tired from the day’s work he still throws him in the air once again. All of these small moments fueling him for another day doing what he enjoys so much again tomorrow. Once everyone is settled in bed he will have time to tend to equipment out in the quiet garage and finish any needed estimates or invoices from the day.

Why do we share this? Because people ask for your “why?” when you choose a profession as dangerous as a climbing arborist. Aaron gives 100% to every task on every job because he has his family to provide for and protect as his God given duty. Each and every day is meant as a new opportunity to glorify God in everything he does, his family and his job.